Monday, May 24, 2010

Impatience

It's been over a week since I posted last and this one is mostly whining, so forgive me in advance but I guess -- it's my blog and I can whine if I want to (sung to the tune of It's My Party...)

I am very impatient for this to become second-nature easy. I'm certainly doing fine and making progress, but it's far more time consuming to deal with food than it was before. It's a huge up-and-down see-saw for me, balancing the pride I feel in making it work against the drain of having to make it work.

Some examples of this duality:
  • I feel a great sense of accomplishment that I can duplicate condensed cream of chicken soup without the can (I modified the recipe I found to omit the added salt and it's just right), but it takes more time than opening a can (maybe only 10 minutes or so, but it's an adjustment I have to factor into my cooking).
  • It's not a huge deal to pack some food in a cooler to take to a track meet or school carnival or whatever, but I have to be thinking that much further ahead to make sure I have suitable things in the house and that I budget the time in advance of our required arrival time to pack them. And if I don't, the consequence is that I don't have food to eat.
  • It's kind of a pain to have to investigate every restaurant I want to go to, figuring out if I can even eat anything there, but it's also been nice to find some new restaurants to visit that I wouldn't ordinarily even know about, necessarily.
I'll figure it all out eventually and have it become close to second nature, I suspect, but it is annoying, at least at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment