Sunday, May 30, 2010

Another pancake mix

Are you sensing a theme here? Evidently, pancakes are a critical part of my happiness in life!

Well, I have even more good news. I have found a GF pancake mix that's even better than any of the other mixes I've tried AND I think is better than the rice-flour-based recipe I had decided was my favorite before this. The Kinnikinnik Pancake and Waffle Mix is AWESOME. Very exciting -- they LOOK like normal pancakes -- all the other GF pancakes I have tried have a kind of speckled or heavily freckled look to the surface, but these are smooth and brown like regular pancakes usually are. The mix smells like vanilla cake batter. I've looked at the ingredients to try to figure out what makes it smell that way but I can't tell (no vanilla in the mix or anything).

The downside is it has a LOT of sugar and about twice the calories of Bisquick (I hadn't looked at that till today and I'd probably be happier not knowing it, but I can't unlearn it now...). So perhaps I shouldn't use it EVERY time but it sure is good and even my kids don't say a word about it being different or weird or anything like that.

Yea pancakes!

5 comments:

  1. So, did you get the one I sent, yet? Was it any good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -- just arrived in the mail today (which means it could have arrived a couple of days ago but we just got it from the mailbox), so I haven't tried it yet. It looks far better for me than the one I described here, so I'll let you know once I try it (which should be in the next couple of days). Thanks!

    And the brownie is kinda good -- not very sweet and has a different flavor I can't put my finger on, but I think I like it. I can't tell where it came from based on the labeling -- can you tell me more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been doing great. I am proud of my friend!! Did I ask you to post the recipe for the Cream of.. soup yet? If not, would you? Could you? With a gluten-free cherry on top?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The brownie/bar thing is from a place here called sugarless delite. They sell lots of GF and other specialty foods and mixes. The guy gave me a sample of that in the store and it was yummy, so I got you one. They will ship most items, or I can bring you stuff when we are headed that way.

    http://www.sugarlessdelite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leeann -- I posted the cream of whatever soup recipe as a comment back to that same thread on FB the very day you requested it but I'll email it to you. I was so lucky that I happened to print out that recipe when I did b/c the site where I got it is STILL down and I wouldn't have been able to get to it again even by now!

    ReplyDelete