Saturday, July 31, 2010

Grilled Shrimp Ceviche

Today, I tried another of the recipes from Delight magazine's summer issue -- Grilled Shrimp Ceviche. Traditionally, a ceviche is actually done with raw seafood and the acids in the lime juice and/or vinegar "cook" the food over time in the fridge. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, but luckily this recipe had you start with grilled shrimp.

I skewered the shrimp, sprinkled a little cumin and garlic powder over them (not in the recipe but recommended by the seafood guy at HEB) and grilled them. Then, while they cooled, I chopped the red onion, tomato, and cilantro. Once the shrimp were cooled, I cut them in thirds (also not in the recipe, though I thought the picture didn't look like whole shrimp so maybe they just left that instruction out) and mixed them with the veggies, lime juice and olive oil. I chilled the whole mixture (though it was equally good when I tasted it immediately) and served them with tortilla chips for dipping. It was FABULOUS!!! (Again, if you want the measurements for the recipe, email me or pick up the magazine -- I got mine at Whole Foods and so far, their recipes have been delicious and healthy!)

Apparently it is a common practice to serve ceviche in a martini glass -- almost all the pictures online show it that way. Serving with chips is also apparently a common practice. The recipe actually called for spooning it into Tostitos Scoops and serving as individual pick-up cups, but I chose not to do that b/c I've read some conflicting info about cross-contamination gluten issues with Frito Lay products. Till I get confirmation that they're truly gluten free, I'll stick with ones I know (or at least believe!!) are.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer - I really appreciate all of your comments on my blog and I'm glad I found yours!! You have some great insight as far as the restaurants go as well. I'm still trying to balance being fearful of everything and enjoying a night out at a restaurant. I'll keep checking in!
    Thanks,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime -- thanks for touching base! My blog was going well for a bit, but then I got more relaxed about the whole GF thing (not relaxed in approach, just handling it better) and have stopped blogging!

    I am very seriously considering starting a GF baking business here in Austin. I'm a pretty comfortable cook and baker, and I've been doing a lot of cookbook scouring and testing with some nice successes along the way (and a few total flops of course), so I think it's actually a do-able and reasonable thought, but there are TONS of logistical issues to work through first. If I do get it going, I will be sure blog about it (among other things) to get the word out!!

    You're doing great, btw, from what I can tell from your blog!

    ReplyDelete